William Kay Blacklock (1872 - 1924)
Signed and dated 1917, titled verso,
Oil on canvasboard,
10 x 13¾ inches
Bonhams, 5 Oct 2005, lot 201
(including UK delivery)
Click on image to view enlarged versions
This luminescent view of Southwold beach coincides with Blacklock's time spent as part of the artists' colony led by Philip Wilson Steer in Walberswick (across the river Blyth from Southwold). He lived in the village from 1912 until 1917 at "The Barn" with his wife Ellen (known as "Nellie") who features as his model in many of his paintings.
He exhibited throughout his life in both oil and watercolour at the Royal Academy, The Royal Scottish Academy and the Royal Institute of Oil Painters amongst many other societies and galleries. His work is held by the Walker Art Gallery and the Cliffe Castle Museum.