Ernest Waterlow, St Andrew's, Walberswick
Sir Ernest Albert Waterlow (1850-1919)
St Andrew's Church, Walberswick,
Signed and with R.A. labels verso,
Oil on canvas,
13½ x 19½ inches
Royal Academy, Winter Exhibition, 1922, no.34
Price: £2,000 (Free shipping)
Click on image to view larger versions
This expansive view of the ruins of St Andrew's church, Walberswick with the sea beyond, provides a bucolic snapshot of this area of the village prior to its development from 1900 onwards. Walberwick became a popular destination with artists such as Philip Wilson Steer and Charles Rennie Mackintosh at the turn of the century and the village expanded to accommodate them.
With thanks to Richard Scott (author of Artists at Walberswick: East Anglian interludes 1880-2000) and Pat Lancaster of the Walberswick Local History Group for their help in identifying this view.
Sir Ernest Albert Waterlow, R.A. trained at the Royal Academy Schools where he was awarded the Turner Gold Medal for landscape painting in 1873. He was highly proficient in both oil and watercolour and was elected President of the Royal Watercolour Society in 1897 and a Royal Academician in 1903. He was knighted in 1902.
He exhibited throughout his life at the Society of British Artists, the Old Watercolour Society, the Grosvenor Gallery and elsewhere. His work is held by numerous private and public collections including the Tate Gallery, The Walker Art Gallery and the Manchester City Art Gallery.