David Gauld (1865-1936)
Calves at rest
oil on canvas
20 x 30 inches
Provenance: Capt. G.L.Pillans, M.C.
Click on image to view larger version
David Gauld (1865 -1936) was born in Glasgow. He trained initially as a lithographer and then attended the Glasgow School of Art. In his early years, his work was highly innovative, particularly his illustrations for the "Glasgow Weekly citizen" which showed the influence of Japanese prints. He also produced impressive designs for stained glass, most notably for the St Andrew's Scottish church in Buenos Aires. He shared a studio in Kirkcudbright with William Stewart MacGeorge and later with Harrington Mann in Glasgow. He was a close friend of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
From the mid 1890s, he began producing the work he is best known for - studies of cattle and rural scenes from the Ayrshire countryside.
He was elected a full member of the Royal Scottish Academy in 1924. His work is held in numerous public and private collections throughout Scotland and beyond including, the National Gallery of Scotland and The Hunterian Art Gallery, Glasgow.
Other works by David Gauld on this website: