Algernon Mayow Talmage (1871-1939)
The Riverbank, Dedham
signed and inscribed with title to reverse
oil on canvas
14 x 18 inches
This idyllic scene shows Talmage's characteristically bold capturing of light with flashes of primary colour to draw in the eye.
Algernon Talmage studied under Sir Hubert von Herkomer at Bushey (see note to Arnesby Brown) and later at St Ives where he was to open his own art school in 1900. He moved to London in 1907 where he exhibited at the Goupil Gallery (One-man show, 1909) and the Fine Art Society. He later became the war-artist for the Canadian Government.
Works in public collections: Throughout the UK, including the Royal Academy, the Sheffield Museum and elsewhere
Click on image to view larger version